GIS Day 2017

On this year's GIS Day, I was at home sick with bronchitis, and if I spoke too much I had cough attacks (plus no one wanted to be around me anyway) -- so I celebrated the ultimate millennial way: by making a presence on social media. I did a few things via my personal social media accounts:

- I made 3 posts on Instagram with trending hashtags, such as #GIS #GISDay #geography, #GeoWeek; and in Spanish #SIG #geografĂ­a. Two of the images I re-published from Esrigram's account (which is Esri's official Instagram account), and the third image, I created.

- I created 2 Snapchat GeoFilters and submitted them for review to Snapchat. I got a confirmation email stating that my submissions were received, but they are still yet to be reviewed (at this point I am thinking this process might take months considering their global market). Either way, the effort was there! For one of the GeoFilters, I created a "Geography Awareness Week" design to be used within UWF's campus vicinity; and for the other GeoFilter, I created a "GIS Day" design to be used within Orlando's Metropolitan Area.

- And finally, I updated my Facebook profile picture using an official "Frame" from Esri's official "GIS Day" Facebook page. You've probably seen frames before, they are typically used to show your support for causes and events. Esri created a Facebook frame for us GIS-ers to use to spread awareness on GIS Day! My profile picture captures a meaningful moment of me with my adorable nephew, Adrian (at the time, he was 3 years old). In this picture we are at Disney World, and I am showing him where we were located on the map, and where we were going to navigate to next. Of course, as soon as he saw the map (or any map), all he kept on squalling was, "Nana, the treasure chest! For the treasure chest! The treasure chest!". Lol (he must have learned it from a TV show). It was an adorable moment, and I loved that he was so into the map (gotta start them young).


Comments