Module 3 - Map Elements & Typography

This week, we received a very comprehensive lecture in typography, map elements, generalization, and scale conversions. It was a very interesting topic because it touched on the smaller components of a map, that make a huge difference.

I especially enjoyed typography, which is "the art of  arranging, using, and designing type". I was able to relate to the challenges that come with perfecting this art form from my current professional GIS experience. Many people, typically outsiders, don't think twice about typography, it's almost an after thought (if any). However, what people don't realize is that when many data layers are in place, or multiple features of the same type (for example, a map full of rivers, roads, highways, railroads, telephone lines, etc.), along with very zoomed out extents, it can become very challenging to properly label and symbolize all of these features. Thankfully, great cartographers from the past have established guidelines to be used as best practiced principles, everywhere from labeling point features, to using the right font color, size, and symbol placement for areal features. They are provided in Chapter 11 of our textbook, Thematic Cartography and Geovisualization

Additionally, we learned about applying UWF's GIS Online Essential Map Elements (which consist of always including a title, scale, legend, north arrow, border, date, data source, and cartographer name). By adhering to all of these guidelines, we are on a good path in being able to create legible, valuable, and functional map products.

For our lab assignment we put our knowledge to the test by creating, labeling, and stylizing some of the smallest islands on Earth (of course), Marathon, Florida. I created my map by using both ArcMap and Adobe Illustrator. I started out in ArcMap, by creating a very simple .ai export of Marathon's polygon features (zoomed in as much as possible), as well as the tip of Florida in the inset data frame. After bringing this document into Adobe Illustrator, I followed all directions as stated on the lab assignment for labeling all of the point and areal features. Finally, I added the following 3 customizations:
  1. I made the background of my entire map product a grainy, light blue, ocean color. I used the “Texture” > “Grain” style feature under “Effects” to achieve this result. The reason I chose this style effect was to make the ocean look a little more realistic than just a solid light blue color. Also, I think this background makes the islands stand out more since it’s a solid tan color. I really like how this came out.
  2. I added “Drop Shadows” to both of the “Counties” layers in the inset map and in the main data frame map. This effect makes the islands “pop-out”, alluding to the theme of realism, and goes very well with the grainy blue background.
  3. And lastly, I added an “Outer Glow” to the map title. I chose to do this style effect because I felt that it complimented the “beachy” theme of the map with the hues of tans and blues. I also really like the font I chose for the title, but without the glow effect, it didn’t really stand out as much. The “outer glow” gave “Marathon, Florida” the proper touch it deserved as a title heading.


Comments