GIS Portfolio: www.danielasabillon.com

For our very last deliverable in our GIS Internship class we were tasked to create a GIS-specific portfolio showcasing a culmination of best works and achievements to-date. We were given two options: either create a paper portfolio or a digital portfolio. I went for the digital portfolio. Instead of using a free Wix template, I actually created mine using WordPress since I've created two websites in the past using this CMS (content management system). Plus, I had been wanting to create a website for myself for a while now, so this was the perfect timing. Although not much has changed with WordPress configurations, I had completely forgotten how complex they can become. It took me a while to create my website. I spent more time designing it than I probably should have, but then again, my name is on it, so I wanted it to look nice. It was nice playing around with WordPress again. Also, I was able to get an awesome discount (using a random online coupon I found): $12.18 total for GoDaddy Hosting + Managed Wordpress + the Domain for 12 months -- basically a dollar a month (that's a steal!). I provided a screenshot of my homepage below.

Although I'm happy with my website product, I plan to add more to it in the next few months as I start the Master's in GIS Administration program. There is a lot more that can be documented, but the work is time-consuming, so I must pace myself. That being said, I cannot express how thankful I was for my GIS Blogger profile. It was a life-saver being able to go back and look through my stuff from earlier this year.

Finally, as an additional requirement for graduate students only, I had to also answer one to two interview questions in either audio or video format. Once more, I took on the challenge and went for the video option, and answered two questions. I am extremely camera shy, so please know that I really pushed myself to do this. However, I'm really glad I did it because it's awesome experience, and only practice will make me feel more comfortable. So this is a start.

The interview questions I decided to answer were: 1) Describe a time when you were faced with a challenging situation and how you handled it, and 2) What is your favorite map example in your portfolio and why?

All the required links are provided below:

- My GIS portfolio website -- www.danielasabillon.com
- Interview Questions Video -- dsabillon_youtubevideo
- Interview Questions Video Transcript -- dsabillon_videotranscript.pdf

Comments