Lab 3 - Management of Technical Elements of GIS Programs, Version Control & GitHub

Every week I continue to be impressed with the activities we carry out in this class. I know I already said it, but it's very eye-opening and the information that I'm soaking up is so, so valuable.

For example, one of our main deliverables in this lab included writing up a detailed analysis comparing and contrasting open-source and commercial GIS software configuration options from the perspective of a GIS Manager within a hypothetical GIS program of my choosing. In my write-up, I discussed the consideration and justification of selecting an enterprise spatial database software (my options included Oracle Spatial, PostGIS, or Microsoft's SQL Server Spatial option within an ArcGIS Enterprise infrastructure), as well as discussed how my users and licenses were to be controlled, and how our source code and spatial data would be managed. Also, I talked about whether in my hypothetical GIS program I would need to plan for custom application development.

Another focal learning outcome that came out of this lab assignment included the discussion and activity of version control. Because GIS programs are often situated in environments of constant change, it is important for a GIS Manager to optimize activities of versioning data because it facilitates the management of change. Specifically, for this part, we learned that GitHub has become a de facto standard in version control.

Below I have provided 3 screenshots from my GitHub account that show the historic changes within a repository specifically highlighting the changes I made to a point shapefile. These changes included transforming spatial data from a binary format to a text format, and then creating and managing versions of that data in GitHub, a very popular version management tool.




Comments

  1. This is excellent information which is shared by you..This information is meaningful and magnificent for us to increase our knowledge about it. Keep sharing this kind of information. Thank you. Read more info about starbucks org chart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here.. thanks for sharing.
    pharma company org charts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment